Antenatal classes for first time parents
My antenatal classes for first time parents are held at a place (usually your own home) and time to suit you. In many cases the father of the baby attends too, along with an additional birthing partner if you’re planning on having one.
I recommend that you book the class for when you’re around 30-36 weeks pregnant but if you’d like support earlier on, please do get in touch.
When you book, we will have a chat to see if there is anything specific that you’d like me to cover in the class alongside the usual content of:
- basic anatomy and physiology
- how to recognise the signs of labour
- when to go to hospital
- all methods of pain relief to use during the first stage of labour
- hypnobirthing – I teach some aspects of hypnobirthing as some of it is basic midwifery advice; things I have been teaching women about for years. We will talk about how to relax, stay calm, create a positive birth environment and how to feel confident in your body.
- how to cope when things don’t go according to plan
- delivery of the baby and the placenta
- immediate post delivery advice
- advice for the first seven days (and beyond!)
- breastfeeding advice
I know that much of this information is readily available online and in as many books as you’ve got time to read. As a practising midwife, I want first time parents to have the most up to date, practical advice possible. If there’s something extra that you think of before we meet, you can always drop me an email or have a list ready for when I arrive.
By having a private class with me, I can cover everything that you want to know and explain it in a way that you understand. I also know that some people can be embarrassed asking questions in a group setting. Classes in your home are always more relaxed and informal and you can ask as many questions about the remainder of your pregnancy, the birth and the time immediately afterwards as you wish.
I also provide a hand out from the class, which includes a section for your birthing partner on how they can help and support you in your labour.
To find out more or book a class, please get in touch